Danny Verdun Wheeler is now the assistant director of player development at the University of Arkansas. Wheeler attended Thomson High School from 1999 to 2003. He went on to play football for the University of Georgia from 2003 to 2006. Wheeler spent some time in the National Football League (NFL) with the Chicago Bears, Washington Redskins, Indianapolis Colts, and a second stint with Washington. Before accepting the job with Arkansas, Wheeler was an assistant linebackers coach and co-recruiting coordinator at Point University in West Point, Ga. Wheeler took this past year off to welcome a newborn child. Due to COVID, he wanted to be safe and ensure his newborn was healthy. “I took the year off due to COVID,” Wheeler said. Coaching, or just being around the game of football is something that Wheeler has always wanted to do. “After my playing career was over, I knew I wanted to coach,” Wheeler said. Some of Wheeler’s fondest memories come from former THS football coach Luther Welsh and the staff at THS. Another memory he has of Thomson is how the community supports the football team. “The community came together and the love they had for the players,” Wheeler said. According to Wheeler, this new position allows him to prepare the Arkansas athletes for life after football, and for other avenues off the field.
- 24 state voter fraud cases referred to attorney general for prosecution
- Thomson-McDuffie Middle students receive REACH
- Mr. Clean Car Wash Opens In Sharpsburg, GA
- Bealls Outlet cuts ribbon at new store
- Leaders share virtual message in annual State of the Community
- Thursday, Feb. 18
- Teacher creates one portrait a day for Black History Month
- Seniors Brown and Derry named Mr. and Miss THS
- New development coming to key Warrenton intersection
- Thursday, Feb. 11
Success! An email has been sent to with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.
Would you like to receive our daily news? Signup today!