Briarwood’s Scott Reynolds, No. 75, breaks through the offensive line to make a stop against Brentwood.

The Briarwood Academy Buccaneers traveled to Sandersville last Friday and found the Brentwood Eagles to be a tough opponent. The Bucs lost 45-27.

However, the game started at an even pace with Brentwood scoring first and then Briarwood several minutes later. The Bucs first score of the night was a 30-yard touchdown run by Lucas Freitas with five minutes remaining in the first quarter. Trenton Cotton added the point-after kick, his first of several for the night.

On Brentwood’s second possession the Bucs gave up three first downs but then held on fourth-and-eight at the Briarwood 22 yard line. However, the momentum did not last long. Three plays later Briarwood quarterback Dax Reese was intercepted and the defender returned the pick to the 4 yard line, leaving Brentwood with first-and-goal.

Two plays later and the Eagles scored. Then, with the point-after kick, stretched their lead to 14-7.

The Bucs strung together what appeared to be a successful drive next, yet stalled on fourth down in Brentwood territory. The Eagles again took possession and pushed down the field, yet this time walked away with only a field goal. Heading into halftime, Brentwood led 17-7.

The Bucs came out strong at the start of the second half and produced a seven-play touchdown drive. Reese threw to Chapman Mohr on a short 4-yard touchdown pass. Cotton converted the kick. Briarwood still trailed, 17-14, but seemed to have gained some momentum.

Then, Brentwood struck again. Three plays into their drive they broke a run and scored another touchdown.

But, the Bucs responded. On the second play of the next drive, Freitas couldn’t find a hole on the right side and bounced off a few players, reversed to cross the field and sprinted 53 yards to the end zone. Cotton added the point after and the Bucs were keeping the heat on Brentwood. With 5:35 remaining in the third quarter the Bucs had closed to within three again, 24-21.

Next, several plays into the drive, Brentwood broke a 50-yard touchdown run and with the kick expanded their lead to 31-21.

The Bucs again fought back, but a fumble halted their chances after just three plays. However, the Bucs defense snagged a loose ball and got possession back one play later. But, the Bucs could not convert on fourth down and the Eagles again had the ball.

On the first play of the fourth quarter, Brentwood scored on a quarterback sneak that had been set up by a 45-pass play to get first-and-goal.  With 11:06 remaining in the game, Briarwood trailed 38-21.

Briarwood scored one more time, with more than eight minutes remaining. Tucker Purvis rounded the right end on a sweep and scored from 12 yards out.

Brentwood added one final score of the night, but with just 4:32 remaining Briarwood ran out of time to chase down the 45-27 Brentwood lead.

Freitas led the Bucs in rushing with 182 yards. Reese had 68. Mohr had the most receptions, three, but only tallied 11 yards total and one touchdown. Tucker Purvis had two receptions and Jacob Petrie one, which was a 32-yard gain.

Evan Moore led the Bucs in tackles with 10 total, three solo. Charles McMichael was close behind with eight total tackles and five solo.

This Friday the Bucs will host St. Andrews, a 4-3 Savannah school, on Friday night. Briarwood’s record in now 7-2.

Recommended for you