A Norcross man who fled from deputies after a report of shots being fired at a Tanyard Creek home Sept. 4 has now been arrested and charged with aggravated assault and additional charges related to his trying to evade deputies.

Manuel Jesus Castillo, of an address on Mount Zion Road in Conyers, was arrested last Friday, Dec. 4

Castillo is charged with aggravated assault, fleeing or attempting to elude a police officer, obstruction of officer, too fast for conditions, failure to yield when entering roadway, failure to stop at stop sign, passing within 200 feet of oncoming traffic, passing on hill or curve, passing within 100 feet of bridge, and failure to maintain lane.

At press time Tuesday he was being held in the McDuffie County Jail. Bond was set at $58,750.

On Sept. 4, McDuffie County 911 received a call, at 7:37 a.m., about shots being fired into a Tanyard Creek home. The 911 center issued a lookout for a male, who was driving a silver Nissan passenger car with an out-of-state license plate. Castillo was driving a 2020 Nissan Altima, owned by Hertz Vehicles LLC. It had a Tennessee license plate.

Minutes later deputies saw the car on Mesena Road and attempted to stop it, however Castillo fled. The pursuit went through Thomson and headed towards Dearing on Augusta Highway.

According to the Georgia State Patrol accident report,  Castillo was driving at a high rate of speed when he lost control of the car on Augusta Highway. The car traveled off the north side of the road, struck a mailbox, then hit a culvert before overturning. It came to rest on its roof, with Castillo inside, near Augusta Highway’s intersection with Hobbs Mill Road.

The accident report further states that Castillo told the investigating trooper that he drank three or four shots of tequila, drank three or four beers, and also had smoked marijuana. A small bag of methamphetamine and a pipe were also found inside the wrecked Nissan.

After the accident, Maj. Ronnie Williamson, McDuffie County Sheriff’s Office chief deputy, said one spent shell casing, several unspent rounds of 9 mm, and several pocket knives were recovered at the scene of the accident.

After the Thomson-McDuffie Fire Department removed Castillo from the overturned car he was taken by EMS to an Augusta-area hospital for treatment. At the time of the accident, his injuries were described by Williamson as not being life threatening.

The Georgia State Patrol charged Castillo with driving under the influence and failure to maintain lane.