Fire safety course held at Monterey Pass
By Megan May, Intern

Lieutenant Ed Lewis puts a flame close to a smoke detector that has been in a house fire to prove that the smoke detector still works. Photo by Megan May.

Lieutenant James "Ed" Lewis of the McDuffie County Fire Department conducted a fire safety course for the residents of Monterey Pass Apartments, located off Cobbham Rd., on Tuesday afternoon.
The course stressed the importance of taking necessary measures to prevent home fires. Lewis explained to the residents how easily fires can start in homes that use old or damaged electrical cords, or by having too many items plugged into an old electrical cord at one time.
He also encouraged the residents to upgrade their extension cords to a new power strip with a surge protector that can handle the number of appliances plugged into it at one time.
The lieutenant demonstrated how smoke detectors can save lives and how to properly use a fire extinguisher. Also, he reminded his audience to never leave an open flame unattended or to keep a candle burning in the apartment while they are away.

To read more on this story, see the Sun., July 21, edition of The McDuffie Progress.





McDuffie Progress




McDuffie Progress

McDuffie Progress





McDuffie Progress